Re: Grub2 with sparc64 patches

> On Jan 23, 2017, at 10:09 AM, louis ayotte <pocketpc2004@live.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I made sure to install the correct version of this package as can be
> seen here;
>
> # apt-cache policy grub2
> grub2:
>  Installed: 2.02~beta3-3+sparc64
>  Candidate: 2.02~beta3-3+sparc64
>  Version table:
> *** 2.02~beta3-3+sparc64 500
>        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian-ports unreleased/main sparc64
> Packages
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>     2.02~beta3-3 500
>        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-ports sid/main sparc64 Packages
>        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-ports unstable/main sparc64
> Packages
>
> Then tried to install it (T5240, /dev/sdb1 (ext2) for /boot and
> /dev/sdb2 (ext4) for / )
>
> # grub-install --boot-directory=/boot /dev/sdb
> Installing for sparc64-ieee1275 platform.
> grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
> installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
> UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
> grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Since the T5240 doesn’t support GPT, we have to use blocklists, could you try this instead:

# grub-install —force /dev/sdb1

The following warning can be ignored for now:

Installing for sparc64-ieee1275 platform.
grub2-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
Installation finished. No error reported.