Re: Creating a network boot.img myself

Hi Adrian,

On Sun, 2017-01-22 at 09:59 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> > Did anyone document a step by step guide? Talking only about
> > compiling the .img part. Because done the bootp / tftp part before.
>
> Yes, you basically want to build the debian-installer package
> yourself, see:
> https://wiki.debian.org/PortsDocs/CreateDebianInstallerImages
>
> Just omit the part where the CD is created. This also excludes the
> reprepro part which also shouldn't be necessary for debian-installer,
> i.e., just do the part "Build the debian-installer packages".
>
> Once d-i has been built, you will have the kernel image and the
> initial ramdisk which contains the actual installer.

Nice, that looks that's gonna workout.

> > I am not gonna choose the .iso, (read burn a cdrom). Have seen
> > booting it with a kernel crash several times now. So first need to
> > find out what exactly goes wrong. The kernel, a driver, missing
> > firmware, else?
>
> For kernel crashes on sparc64, you should always cross-post to the
> sparclinux Linux kernel mailing list (LKML).

Sent yesterday a 4.9.0 mailboxing error report upstream. And found out
meanwhile there are a lot qla2xxx commits done the past weeks, so let
me be more patient and wait for 4.10 to be available for testing.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-sparc&m=148504527403700&w=2
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commits/master/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx

> > Does the installer support ssh? So being able to save the debug
> > screen.
>
> Could be, but I'm not sure at the moment. You can find out by
> executing a shell from the installer screen and check whether ssh is
> available.
>
> If the 'ssh' command is not there, just chroot into /target (provided
> you have already done a partial installation) and install 'ssh' with
> 'apt install ssh'.

Sorry, talking about ssh daemon, for connecting the installer remotely.
That got to be available in expert mode. Thanks Joost for your comment.

> Would be great if someone volunteered to build new sparc64 images
> regularly as I have put my Sun Blade 100 back to storage and I have
> packed it up well so it's not that easy to retrieve ;).

Can't we do something on one of the buildd? Not out of the box, true.
But maybe creating a spacial chroot for this task? Starting by cronjob?

> Building CD images should be that difficult when following the guide
> above. It might involve some trial and error, but it isn't terribly
> difficult. I'm happy to answer any questions regarding it.

True, dived a little bit into it now. Do kiss, as possible.

Thanks,

Frans van Berckel