Re: Segmentation faults with aptitude and apt-get on some packages

On 12/2/2016 12:13 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Did you run "make install" in the kernel's source directory after building kernel or did I forget mentioning it?
>
> Adrian
>
> PS: Sorry for the bad quoting style. Currently on mobile.
>
>> On Dec 2, 2016, at 7:05 PM, rod <r.schnell@mythos.freeddns.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 12/2/2016 11:51 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>> Change the first SILO entry to:
>>>
>>> image=/boot/vmlinuz-4.8.11
>>>       label=Linux
>>>       initrd=/boot/initrd.img-4.8.11
>>>
>>> You simply forgot to modify silo.conf to point to the correct kernel and initrd.
>>>
>>> Currently it's configured to boot "vmlinuz" from the system's root directory which is most likely a symlink to a kernel in /boot (check "ls -l /vmlinuz") and use /initrd-4.8.11 as the initrd which is probably a symlink as well.
>>>
>>> Adrian

>> I noticed that whilst typing the email and have gone looking for
>> vmlinuz-4.8.11.
>>
>> It's not in /boot and updatedb/locate doesn't show one on the system
>> symlinked or otherwise.
>>
>> Did we not create it somehow? Is it supposed to be created when the
>> kernel is built?
>>
>> Building kernels is fun! ;)

I did make "modules_install" but not "make install".

$ cd linux-4.8.11
$ cp -av /boot/config-$(uname -r) .
$ make oldconfig (Just always <Enter> until the prompt comes back)
$ make && make modules_install
$ update-initramfs -c -k 4.8.11

If I run "make install" it appears to run update-initramfs
automatically. So is the last line not needed?

Personally I'd rather top reply. I find it easier to see new comments
that way.  No big deal either way.

Rod