Re: Sun hardware in need of a good home

On 24/10/16 14:30, Bob Ham wrote:
Hi all,

Let me tell you a little story.  Many moons ago, while I was living away
from Bristol, a man appeared at a meeting of the Bristol and Bath Linux
User Group offering abundant gifts to all and sundry.  Inside the boot
of his car lay a treasure trove of Sun computers, as I understand,
originating from the University of Bath.  A number of these were taken
by a LUG regular, a hacker of great skill named John Honniball, who took

Jon Honeyball was pleasantly notorious for writing magazine columns from the POV of somebody who owned the sort of equipment with a spec that mere mortals wouldn't dream of for 18 months or so. The result of this was that the "British Standard Honeyball" unit was a bit of a movable feast when it came to equating it to actual amounts of RAM, clock speed and so on :-)

them in order to offer the gems to any who sought to learn the ways of
the SPARC and the arcane magic of Engineering Workstations The Right
Way.  When I returned to Bristol I was honoured to be offered, and
accept, a SPARCclassic from John.

Some years later, after I had left Bristol and returned again, another
LUG regular, a Unix wizard from the University of Bristol's department
of physics named Winnie Lacesso, notified us that there were a number of
Sun workstations being disposed of by her department.  (The same
department providing part of the computing grid for the LHC no less.)  I
took the opportunity to visit the department and acquire a SPARCstation
4, along with two Sun monitors, from the learned folks.

Now, I live in Liverpool.  I have tinkered and explored and learned.  I
have gained a great deal from these gifts.  However, I have moved on and
I feel it is right that instead of gathering dust, these gems should
again be offered to any who seek.  So, in need of a good home are:

[Etc.] I sympathise, but unfortunately some of the things that I'll have to get rid of at some point are orders of magnitude bigger and heavier than what you've got.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk