Re: Custom kernel comes out as wrong arch

On 07/29/2016 07:25 PM, alexmcwhirter@triadic.us wrote:
> I followed section 4.5 of the handbook you listed step by step. "make deb-pkg"
> will create a package for sparc, not sparc64. Unless you add sparc64* to the case
> statement above the sparc* case in scripts/package/builddeb

I have no idea why this manual mentions "make deb-pkg" but this is something I
would never ever think of using. Just build the kernel package like every
other Debian package:

> 4.2.5. Building packages for one flavour
>
> For example, to build only the binary packages for 686-pae flavour on i386 architecture, use the following commands:
>
> $ fakeroot debian/rules source
> $ fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen binary-arch_i386_none_686-pae
>
> The target in this command has the general form of target_arch_featureset_flavour. Replace the featureset with none if you do not want any of the extra
> featuresets. This command will build the linux image and kernel headers packages. You may also need the linux-headers-version-common binary package, which
> can be built using the commands:
>
> $ fakeroot debian/rules source
> $ fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen binary-arch_i386_none_real
>
> The target in this command has the general form of target_arch_featureset_real

> I'm sure the kernel being built is still fine for sparc64, builddeb just labels the
> package as sparc arch because there is no sparc64 defined.

This script is just broken and not part of Debian. I'm not even sure why it's mentioned
in the manual. It's stupid. Debian packages are built using "debian/rules" and not
some random upstream build script. I will send in some patches to LKML to get this
fixed though.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz