Re: Sparc64 - installation on various machines

On 2016-07-06 13:39, Hartwig Atrops wrote:
Hi all.

I tried to install Sparc64 on some of my Suns - base install only.

Iso-Image used: Debian-9.0-sparc64-netinst-1, 2016-05-04

Blade 1500: Success
Fire V210: Success
Ultra60: Success - ttyS0 only (Creator 3D does not work during installation)

Ultra Enterprise 450: failed - partitioner did not start
Ultra 2: failed - no CDROM driver found

su

Hartwig

Ultra60: same issue with my e6k, but it does work after the fact.

Ultra450: what scsi card does this use for disks? The driver is probably not loaded. I see this with the e6k. These older drivers don't use uevents so udev never loads the driver, it needs to be manually loaded for now.

Ultra 2: same as the ultra 450, scsi cdrom correct?

Here's how i do it on my e6k...

1. After installer fails to find cdrom, exit to shell

"modprobe sun_esp && exit"

Start the cdrom detection step again and it will succeed.

2. Installer will fail to find network devices, pick the right driver from the list

3. Installer will fail top find hard disks, i have a qlogicpti controller so exit to shell.

qlogicpti needs additional firmware, so load it from a usb drive / second cd and mount it to /media.

"mount /dev/sr1 /media && mkdir /lib/firmware && cp -r /media/qlogic /lib/firmware && modprobe qlogicpti && exit"

the start the hard disk detection process again.

4. after installation has finished go back to a shell.

"mount -t proc proc /target/proc && \
mount --rbind /sys /target/sys && \
mount --make-rslave /target/sys && \
mount --rbind /dev /target/dev && \
mount --make-rslave /target/dev"

"chroot /target"
"bash"
"source /etc/profile"

add drivers to initramfs...

"nano /etc/initramfs-tools/modules"

in my case i would add two lines

qlogicpti
sun_esp

exit nano, them make a new initramfs

"update-initramfs -u -k <kernel-version>"

the kernel version can be found under /lib/modules/

I'm working on a wiki page to describe this information for other users. If i could get console access to either of these machines i could probably get debian installed on them. It would also help with my wiki page as i would have information on more machines.