Re: Please upgrade your machines to sparc64

On 06/22/2016 09:46 PM, David Miller wrote:
> Frankly, I'm leaving all of my sparc64 machines, yes all of
> them, running the unsupported 32-bit userland and will simply
> live without upgrades and support.
>
> That's how important this is to me.

I'm not arguing with you that 32-bit code is faster than comparable 64-bit
code, it absolutely is. Heck, even Intel realized that a few years ago and
they created the x32 ABI [1]. It didn't help though as x32 is rather unpopular
among users and developers. We have a handful of users of the port in Debian
which I also help to maintain, by the way.

And it's not like that people have not run into memory issues when using a 32-bit
process address space. 4 GiB can be easily eaten up when building something
like Firefox with link-time optimization enabled, so I don't think we have
a viable alternative to sparc64 in the long term.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz