Re: Debian Sparc 7.10.0 Install Problems

On 06/10/2016 08:46 PM, alexmcwhirter@triadic.us wrote:
> Squeeze may be stable on x86, but it's quite the contrary on sparc. Your talking about a release that was so unmaintained on sparc that they had to pull the
> plug on it afterwards.Squeeze crashes on almost all of my sparc gear. This was the reason i gave up on debian and started working on gentoo which was much more
> stable at the time.

What is that supposed to mean? We "pull plugs" on all old releases. But that's not related
to SPARC, but just the normal EOL process. Debian's SPARC port called "sparc" was available
up to including Wheezy. The stability issues that existed were related to the kernel, not
the whole distribution.

I don't know how switching over to Gentoo would magically fix upstream kernel problems.

> Granted currently it's still a 32 bit userland as my 64 bit userland patches have not hit upstream.

Would you mind sharing your patches, please? Those might be useful in Debian, too. Which packages
did you fix?

> Oracle linux is compiled for sun4v only, so no sun4u support. It's behind the times a little, but they are very active in the kernel space.

Oracle actively supporting SPARC kernel development is actually one of the the main reasons
why we have stable Linux support on the hardware. Before Oracle joined kernel development,
it was mostly David Miller working on the SPARC stuff in the kernel alone.

> The unstable debian sparc64 port does support generic 64 bit sparc. My E6K, V210, V215, and Netra X1 are all running it. It may be classified as unstable, but i
> haven't had a crash occur from system instability yet.

There have been recently some issues with kernel 4.6.x, but those have already reported upstream
to the kernel developers. See the sparclinux LKML list archives for this month. Otherwise, Debian's
sparc64 is working with none or minor issues only.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz