Re: Debian Sparc 7.10.0 Install Problems

Hey Chris!

Great to hear from a long-time sparc user.

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Chris <syseng@gfsys.co.uk> wrote:

>> Try our latest sparc64 build. It still has some rough edges, but you should
>> be able to get the system installed. Has a much more recent kernel and userland:
>

> Adrian,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I would like to try later builds and get more
> involved with the dev process, but right now, I need to understand
> why 7.10.0 isn't working.

Just playing the devil's advocate: suppose that the regression has
been fixed in the latest sparc64 set. Do you really _need_ to
understand what combination of problems lead to a regression in 7.10.0
if it is fixed now?

Adrian and others have fixed quite an impressive list of packages and
bugs, including some compiler and kernel bugs, if I recall. It seems
like it would be more relevant if this was still a problem in the
newest images, not in a relatively dormant one.

> I want to start with the last stable
> release for Sparc, to establish a baseline.

I think Adrian's goal is to make sparc64 the new stable baseline, but
he's looking for people with hardware to test and report bugs so that
the community can work on fixing it.

--Patrick