Re: XVR500 and SysVInit

> Most of the other init systems aren't actually maintained either. Upstart
> was dropped by Canonical and OpenRC and runit are merely moving along. It's
> just too much of a big effort trying to keep up when the rest of the Linux
> plumberland is moving so quickly.

Most of them? Then there are some which are maintained.

> I was not talking about museum objects, I was talking about production
> machines. I have tons of these machines as well, heck, my whole basement
> is full of obscure computers. But I use none of these to run a server which
> is hooked up to the internet - unless they are running maintained software.

I operate no servers, but workstations, but i do not understand why this is relevant here. You can connect to the internet with anything now, even with a C64.

> Gentoo is still stuck with gcc-5 because they lack the manpower to do [1]
> the transition to gcc-6 while Debian has already gcc-7 in its
> repositories [2].

Which Debian? 9? I have 8 on my main machine and it has 4.8 and 4.9. Not that i care, i use CLang anyway.

> This is a perfect example of what happens when you are spending too much
> time on pointless efforts like alternative init systems or udev
> alternatives.

systemd is an option in Gentoo, so i do not understand why do you think they spent too much time to find alternative init systems. Or if you are referring to me, then i do not see why would "apt-get remove systemd && apt-get install sysvinit" take too much time. I only asked these here, because i need a Linux for my Sun machine and Debian is the sole choice.