Re: Booting an LDOM (can't find kernel)

On 2016-07-26 15:13, rodent@NetBSD.org wrote:
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 02:21:38PM -0400, alexmcwhirter@triadic.us wrote:
On 2016-07-26 07:44, rodent@NetBSD.org wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 07:31:38PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
>wrote:
>>On 07/24/2016 06:50 PM, rodent@NetBSD.org wrote:
>>> Thanks for your help. Somehow, i made it through the install after
>>selecting
>>> just the base utilities. The ldom has booted although it hangs on
>>"Started
>>> Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes". Here's the dmesg:
>>
>>I doesn't hang. The machine boots fine, you just need to enable a
>>serial
>>console, that doesn't happen by default.
>>
>>Please append "console=ttyS0,9600,8n1" to the kernel command line. A
>>sample
>>silo.conf for these cases looks like this:
>
>That line was what caused the installation to panic. I removed it after
>another reinstall (after a series of reinstalls which failed using the
>same
>procedure) and it booted, arriving to the "Started Update UTMP about
>System
>Runlevel Changes."
>
>Now, any idea for how to access this image? I see sshd is not installed
>by
>default.

You can also add it to the silo boot prompt.

I.E. - "Boot: linux console=ttyS0"

The kernel defaults to 9600,8n1 for serial consoles on sun gear, so you
don't have to add if you don't want to. Granted if you don't add it to
silo.conf you will have to type this on every boot.

That panics it too. I'm not ruling out PEBKAC here, just presenting the data
as-is.

dmesg with "working" silo.conf: http://cossus.ca/debian-good.txt
dmesg with the "append" line added to silo.conf: http://cossus.ca/debian.txt
"non-working" silo.conf: http://cossus.ca/silo.conf

Note, if i remove the "append" line from silo.conf, it will boot. The console addition to the boot prompt causes the same issue as the "append" line to
silo.conf.

When in rescue mode, i'm not able to install openssh-server due to the issue with the repo's keyring which was described earlier. I appreciate all the

The second one is panicing because ttyS0 doesn't exist,

"[244919.084723] Warning: unable to open an initial console."

do you have a serial port configured on this ldom?