Re: Please upgrade your machines to sparc64

On 06/23/2016 09:06 PM, Patrick Baggett wrote:
> Just to adopt a devil's advocate approach here: I could also say that it doesn't make sense to compile dateutils for 64-bit since extended address space is no
> use. I think the point is that there are advantages both ways: having a single set of 64-bit packages is a lot easier to maintain, but David Miller is correct
> in saying that a large majority of packages do not benefit from using 64-bit memory model, but all of them pay a "tax", relative to the 32-bit packages in code
> size, cache usage, etc. Obviously, for stuff like `ls`, I could care less if took 250usec longer due to "64-bitness", but if somehow that caused my builds to
> take 5 extra minutes, I might get annoyed.

I am doing the work in Debian and I am going to do it the way Oracle is doing it in their reference distribution. Not following the path that a huge company is
already paving with lots of paid developers would just be inefficient and Debian's release policy requires that a release architecture has decent upstream
support, both in regard of hard- and software.

As I have mentioned before, the work mainly targets modern hardware. We are not doing this so that people can install Debian on historic hardware.

> It's interesting to see, because from a maintainer standpoint, what you are arguing makes a lot of sense, and from David's kernel developer standpoint, he
> probably dislikes what he perceives as inefficient usage of the hardware that slows down his workflow.

It's not slowing down anyone's workflow. You are hugely overestimating the gain that using 32-bit pointers is bringing.

> I'm also pretty sure that all of the incredible work you two have been doing to iron out SIGBUS, fix drivers, and many other unspeakable violations of C
> standards will translate to better code if there ever is more demand for 32-bit SPARC packages. Like you said, it shouldn't be a problem to build / upload
> (32-bit) sparc packages, and then install them if desired, right?

Debian has dropped "sparc" and it's not going to come back in the foreseeable future since upstream is focusing on 64-bit now.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz