Re: SPARC Issues Open for Conjecture

On 06/11/2016 06:22 PM, alexmcwhirter@triadic.us wrote:
> So one issue i came across with building the installer.
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> E: Unable to locate package sparc-utils-udeb
>
> It doesn't look like that file is in the list of packages, but i can find it here http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-sparc64/main/s/sparc-utils/

As I have mentioned before, you will need to add "silo", "silo-installer"
and "sparc-utils" as these packages are part of "unreleased", not
"unstable".

Add the packages with:

$ reprepro includeudeb unstable /path/to/udeb/*udeb
$ reprepro includeudeb unstable /path/to/deb/*deb

The packages mentioned above are in the "unreleased" distribution because those
are sparc64-only packages and it is not possible to upload any source package
to Debian unstable which will build binary packages on a ports architecture
only.

If I uploaded "silo" to unstable, it wouldn't build on any of the release architectures
and the FTP servers would automatically removed the source packages after a grace
period if these packages haven't produced any binary packages on the release architectures.

Debian "unreleased" exists for this exact reason, but it is not used in Debian Installer
and debootstrap by default.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz