Re: Debian Sparc 7.10.0 Install Problems

Try our latest sparc64 build. It still has some rough edges, but you should
be able to get the system installed. Has a much more recent kernel and userland:

Adrian,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to try later builds and get more
involved with the dev process, but right now, I need to understand
why 7.10.0 isn't working. I want to start with the last stable
release for Sparc, to establish a baseline. I have Squeeze running
on a V210, with gui which is stable. Problem is that none of the
repositories for Squeeze work any more and it's not clear if they
are available somewhere else, or have just been deleted ?.

A bit of background:

Have been using Sun since Sun 3, the first serious unix machine.
Do electronics / embedded sw here, but have never done any Linux
dev, submitted patches, done system builds etc. Have done kernel
rebuilds on Sun 3 years ago and on Vax 730 BSD 4.3 which took over
3 days to complete :-). It would be interesting to get a build
environment running, but are there any resources out there to
get started ?. There must be an overall dev process involved which
I need to understand before contributing anything.

Apart from the usual 32 bit Sparcstation class machines,
have an Ultra 1, several Ultra II and V240, V215/245, T2000 and
T5220. Could set any of those up to provide ssh / ftp login,
whatever, if that would be useful to the group...

Regards,

Chris