Framebuffer support in Debian (FFB, ...) (was: Re: Debian on ultra 1)

> I don't know whether that graphics hardware is still supported,
> but you can just try.

Short version: so far no luck but hopes for the future

Long version:

My understanding of the situation w.r.t. older framebuffer support in Xorg is:

* Many devices (including FFB/AFB, a.k.a. Creator, Creator 3D, Elite M3, ...) works in Wheezy using the dedicated driver in a dedicated package, e.g. xserver-xorg-video-sunffb [my FFB works fine in Wheezy]

* Those packages do not yet exist in the current sparc64 port

* Compiling them from the older source (1.2.1) in wheezy will not work (they won't even compile), as they are all (? at least FFB) using the XAA acceleration infrastructure, which has been dropped in recent Xorg in favour of EXA

* I was able to compile a newer version (1.2.2) of the driver from Xorg with the Debian-packaged X server, but the binary still tried to load an XAA module so would not work

* But there is ongoing work from the great folks over at NetBSD to port some of those drivers to the EXA infrastructure, see e.g.:
<https://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2015/11/27/msg002478.html>

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau