Re: Debian on qemu-system-sparc64

Hi Artyom,

On 2016-01-25 21:39, Adrian Davey wrote:
Hi Artyom,

On 2016-01-25 17:42, Artyom Tarasenko wrote:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Adrian Davey <adrian@beth2.org> wrote:
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a couple of things to help people use debian on
emulated sparc64 (sun4u).

Currently, graphics is not functioning

Interesting. This used to work with Debian 7 and older QEMU versions.
Is it regression in Debian or qemu-system-sparc64/OpenBIOS ?

Could you please check if Debian 7 also hangs in your setup?

Regards,
Artyom

Ok I have finally installed debian 7 sparc (64 bit kernel, 32bit
userland) on current (debian/unstable amd64) qemu-system-sparc64
(sun4u) and indeed I can manually modprobe both drm and ttm that I
thought I needed to blacklist on current sparc64 unstable.  So I tried
again on current unstable sparc64, at least I get more than a hung
system now...
snip

Another item to note is that running
`top` in debian/unstable sparc64 has a load of ~1.09 of an idle system
(1.6 us, 2.9 sy, 0.0 ni, 95.5 id)
while
`top` in debian/7.9 sparc has a load of ~0.00 of an idle system (0.3
us, 1.6 sy, 0.0 ni, 98.7 id)

I am tempted to try the 4.3 kernel on the debian 7.9 VM to see what happens...

Ok after a little fun with forcing dpkg architectures and depends in addition to a little bit of debian backports for initramfs-tools and udev + some guidance from https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=+752742, I have the 4.3 kernel running on debian/7.9~ sparc.

Same problem with bochs-drm as expected, but `top` remains the same for load stats as the previous kernel.

I wonder what is causing 64bit userland to spin so much on noops, or whatever it is doing.

Regards,

Adrian

Regards,

Adrian