Re: Debian/sparc64 now as popular as arm64!

On 01/23/2016 01:42 PM, David Matthew Mattli wrote:
> Thanks to Adrian's work on making Debian/sparc64 install media the
> number of sparc64 systems on popcon has exploded and now sits at 7,
> currently the same value as arm64. You can see these numbers along with
> pretty charts at the Debian popularity contest page:
> http://popcon.debian.org/

Awesome!

> To anyone installing Debian/sparc64, consider enabling popcon as it may
> help sparc64 become a real Debian architecture. Enabling it is as simple
> as apt-get install popularity-contest.

Yeah, absolutely. We will need to convince the release team that sparc64
is a valid candidate for a release architecture.

> Thanks for your work Adrian and I want you to know that I haven't
> disappeared. I again have the time to start looking at broken builds
> only this time from my fancy new Debian/sparc64 install.

Great. Pick anything from the list of packages that failed to build
from source. Interesting candidates are gegl [1] and pdl [2], for
example. For gegl, I already filed a bug report [3].

There is also a very interesting issue with systemd:

root@test-adrian1:~# systemctl
Failed to parse bus message: Bad message
root@test-adrian1:~#

This happens on raverin and my Sun Blade 100, but not on the big
SPARC-T5:

root@landau:~# systemctl |head -n2
  UNIT
                    LOAD   ACTIVE SUB       DESCRIPTION
  proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount
                    loaded active waiting   Arbitrary Executable File
Formats File System Automount Point
root@landau:~#

So that looks like a very interesting bug.

Adrian

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=gegl&arch=sparc64&ver=0.3.4-1&stamp=1452885405
https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=pdl&arch=sparc64&ver=1%3A2.007-5&stamp=1452985133

--