Re: Debian/SPARC[64]

Hello Karel and Joachim,

2014-01-09, Karel Gardas:
> I'm curious what's the status of Debian or
> general Linux on SPARC or SPARC64. I've read that Debian removed SPARC
> port from testing/unstable in 2014 so I'm curious if I shall deal with
> compatiblity issues between Solaris/Linux or not at all

2015-01-09, Joachim Breitner:
> I’ve CCed the right list for this, they might know more.

I'm just another Debian user,
but AFAIK, the "sparc" architecture has been removed
from jessie/testing only:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2015/01/msg00000.html

While currently it can be in a quite problematic state:
"sparc" still remains in unstable
and "sparc64" is still in debian-ports, e. g.:
http://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=ghc&suite=unstable
http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/package.php?p=ghc&suite=unstable

(BTW, we can also ask Gentoo about the current state of its SPARC support).

Karel:
> and assume that future GHC SPARC target is really just Solaris OS.

Just for the note:
sadly, it looks like they have removed
UltraSPARC II, III, IV legacy CPU series support
from Solaris 11 (hopefully, they'll continue to support them in Solaris 10):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_%28operating_system%29#Version_history

Karel:
> FYI: the issue is that Solaris switched to Sun's asm which does have
> different syntax than GNU asm. So to preserve compatibility with GNU or
> not to preserve that is the question. :-)

Are the differences so hard?
Maybe the GNU assembler already has the support for Sun syntax?
Then it looks more like a GNU Binutils issue:
http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/

---
Best wishes,
Bob