Re: Resurrecting Debian on SPARC

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:07:10PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> I was wondering how many here are still interested in the Debian
> SPARC port?

Interest is there, but unfortunately nearly no time during the next 6 Months.

> In the past weeks, I have invested some efforts to revive the sparc64
> port a bit and managed to get at least gcc-5 compile and work through
> the build queue a bit. Rod Schnell, a user from the US, kindly donated
> an UltraSPARC IIIi for use which I set up as an additional buildd and
> porterbox (Hostname: raverin).

That I can offer too for at least a limited time: We have also some
US III sparc boxes sitting around here. Last problem with vanilla
kernel on one of the boxes was a scsi host problem, on with DaveM referred
to the host drivers maintainer, at which point I gave up.

> Anyone here willing to join the efforts to fix the sparc64 port or
> even resurrect the 32-bit SPARC port which was recently removed from
> Debian?

What's in Debian wheezy is the 32-bit SPARC with 64-bit Kernel, right ?

> I think it might be actually a good idea to resurrect the 32-bit
> port and add it to Debian ports since sparc32 seems to be a in
> a better shape regarding kernel and toolchain support.

My time will allow only a litte bit of testing (e.g. including sources
list and try some packages).

Good luck,
 greetings
   Hermann

--
Netzwerkadministration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg