Re: life after Wheezy?

On Tue, 2015-07-28 at 15:05 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Artyom Tarasenko wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there a way to install something newer than ?
> > Or install Wheezy and upgrade it to something newer?
> > Any recommendations?
>
> I very much needed an extra SPARC machine here a year ago, and put a lot
> of time into trying to get various Debian versions working. The bottom
> line is that if installing from CD (or presumably DVD) anything later
> than Squeeze is broken.
>
> We ended up using Solaris, which has since self-destructed due to a
> known bug (CDE works, Gnome doesn't).

There's a way big difference in 32 vs 64 bit, (the kernel is 64 bit) so
upgrading a Wheezy 32 to Sid 64, will that flow?

So the question is, what are the packages needed to do a minimal
install. And are these build (and ready for use) on sparc64?

If so, we can create Netboot image. And boot it from network, true?

Thanks,

Frans van Berckel