Re: netboot failure with current kernels?

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 12:29:43AM +0300, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 07:50:19PM +0300, Meelis Roos wrote:
> > I tried to install Debian on my E280R. Netboot is the most natural way
> > for remote install so I tried that. Current Debian installer fails to
> > load:
> >
> > {0} ok boot net
> > Boot device: /pci@8,700000/network@5,1:  File and args:
> > Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
> > 4000 \
> >      ERROR: /packages/obp-tftp: Last Trap: Fast Data Access MMU Miss
> >

> > Boot load failed
> >
> > Is this some known problem with TFTP booting that Debian needs to fix,
> > or something new? Size of the boot.img file is 12988928 bytes, OBP
> > version 4.16.4 2004/12/18.
>
> Probably the image is too big. At least on older sparcs the limit
> is 10 MB.

Based on quick look, Debian netboot image has 8 MB
uncompressed kernel and 4.5 MB compressed initramfs.
By using compressed kernel it would all fit under 10 MB.
Such image could be created using the latest TILO version from:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/silo.git

A.