Re: the future of sparc in unstable

BTW, the sparc buildd looks like gcc 4-8.2-21 is successful and so is gcc-4.9.0-1. I've installed them from sid. Crisis averted?

Patrick

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Sébastien Bernard <sbernard@nerim.net> wrote:
Le 30/04/2014 20:36, Patrick Baggett a écrit :

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Ivo De Decker <ivo.dedecker@ugent.be> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 03:42:39PM +0200, Sébastien Bernard wrote:
> Indeed, the last good build seems to be gcc-4.8-4.8.2-19.
> Look at the changelog for the -20 they seems to have done something on the sparc
> that blocks the generation of the libraries.

A number of binaries are now built by gcc-4.9 instead of gcc-4.8. As there is
no build of gcc-4.9 on sparc, these binaries are missing.

https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=gcc-4.9&arch=sparc

So if you want to fix the sparc issue, you probably need to get gcc-4.9 to
build there. When doing that, you need to start from a gcc-4.8 version from
before the change, as newer version are not functional without the packages
from gcc-4.9.

???
I thought jessie was using gcc-4.8 and not gcc-4.9

OK, so we additionally need to look into why gcc-4.9 is not installable?

Patrick

No, we don't. Period.

I built the gcc-4.8-4.8-19, and all the binaries are there.
I'm going to involve the gcc maintainer cause what they did broke completely the build be it jessie or sid.

We have libgcc1, lib64gcc1, libstdc++6,  and libstdc++6 available from the repositories in version 4.8.2-19.
But, the new builds -20 and -21 have overriden all the other packages from -19 since they have been build ok.
So, now, we have nothing to install because gcc-base-4.8_4.8.2-20 depends on libgcc1-4.8.2_4.8.2-20 which isn't build (this is the message from apt-get).

And this is not solvable, we're halfway through, with partial -19 packages and missing packages -20.

And if you think it has zero impact, think twice. The debootstrap is not able to build a sid install because of this.
So, meanwhile, I'll setup a mini directory with the packages availables (I need to remember how to setup a debian repository again).

All in all, this broken package has blocked the complete buildd, since there is no more libgcc1 and no more libstdc++ installable.

Did I say there is no gcc-4.9 ?

Here is the recipe for disaster for sparc.

Seb