Re: the future of sparc in unstable

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Ivo De Decker <ivo.dedecker@ugent.be> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 03:42:39PM +0200, Sébastien Bernard wrote:
> Indeed, the last good build seems to be gcc-4.8-4.8.2-19.
> Look at the changelog for the -20 they seems to have done something on the sparc
> that blocks the generation of the libraries.

A number of binaries are now built by gcc-4.9 instead of gcc-4.8. As there is
no build of gcc-4.9 on sparc, these binaries are missing.

https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=gcc-4.9&arch=sparc

So if you want to fix the sparc issue, you probably need to get gcc-4.9 to
build there. When doing that, you need to start from a gcc-4.8 version from
before the change, as newer version are not functional without the packages
from gcc-4.9.

???
I thought jessie was using gcc-4.8 and not gcc-4.9

OK, so we additionally need to look into why gcc-4.9 is not installable?

Patrick