Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Irrecoverable deferred error trap.

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 18:17:22 +0100
"Dr. Nagy Elemér Károl y" <eknagy@omikk.bme.hu> wrote:

> Dear Debian Sparc List,
>
> I have encountered a "Kernel panic - not syncing: Irrecoverable
> deferred error trap." on a Sun Fire V210 running Debian 7.2 as a
> bridged iptables firewall. Before we repurposed it as a firewall,
> Solaris 2.8 was running on it flawlessly for years except for fan
> replacements.
>
> The machine has months of uptime, but every 2-4 months, it gives us a
> trap like this - usually when we log in to do some iptraf or to
> configure iptables.
>
> I have attached a syslog snippet that contains kernel error messages.
>
> When this happens, iptables seems to keep working but we can not log
> into the machine.
>
> Does anybody know if it is a aging HW problem or a Kernel problem?
>
> Thank you,
> Elemer K. Nagy

Hello, I have had this randomly occur on my Sun Fire V210. However
after switching to 3.11.4 I have never had this panic ever again so far.

If you have more than 4GiB of RAM, you will want to compile the kernel
without initrd support and use make-kpkg without --initrd, as the kernel
panics on boot with one.