Re: Bits from the Release Team (Jessie freeze info)

On 23/10/13 12:55, Stewart Smith wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> writes:
>> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Stewart Smith
>> <stewart@flamingspork.com> wrote:
>>> Jenkins can have slaves on remote hosts, via SSH. It runs a small java
>>> app there, so as long as the arch has a JVM then you're pretty right.
>>
>> For whatever definition of small. I've seen it consuming 1 GiB of
>> memory...
>
> with 'm68k' in your email address your definition of small is likely
> much different than my "many years in large scale databases" small :)

Come to think of it, it must take a day or more for m68k to rebuild
eglibc.  This is a more serious problem than resources needed by
Jenkins.  We can't ask them to rebuild their entire toolchain each night!

For the goal of software freedom, it shouldn't be too difficult for
anyone to do that, though.  We should be trying to make it easier.

Maybe it would be permissible for the toolchain test suite to run on a
faster platform, and cross-compile, or use any sort of emulation
available in Debian free packages.

If it were technically feasible for each Debian port to rebuild its
toolchain and some essential packages, at least once per week, I think
that would be an accomplishment.  And the smaller the initial set of
packages required to boostrap the process, the better.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org