Re: sparc64 buildd gcc SIGSEGV/SIGBUS?

So this is the "sparc64" version of debian, not "sparc"?

The reason I ask is because (IIRC) the default mode in "sparc" is to output 32-bit SPARC code but utilizing the SPARCv9 instructions (i.e. not able to be run on pre-UltraSPARC machines) -- this was done because the "sparc32", i.e. pre-UltraSPARC CPUs, aren't able to run Debian (I think the Linux kernel has fallen into bitrot w.r.t. them) -- while "sparc64" gcc -- I'm not sure what it does. Despite being just "sparc", I can build 64-bit SPARC binaries and execute them (because we're all running 64-bit kernels), but I typically don't have a need to. So with that all mentioned, is the end goal to produce a 64-bit binary or 32-bit binary?

Patrick

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Steven Gawroriski <steven@multiphasicapps.net> wrote:
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 11:41:35 -0500
Patrick Baggett <baggett.patrick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't say that I track failing packages (how does one do this?) but
> stupid question -- are the versions of gcc on your machine and
> sompek(2) identical? What about kernel version (it probably doesn't
> matter, but you never know on some of these RISC ports). Also, I'll
> try to reproduce it locally if you can point me in the right
> direction.
>
> Patrick
>

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Steven Gawroriski <
> steven@multiphasicapps.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello, has anyone else been able to reproduce the SIGSEGV/SIGBUS
> > crashes seen on the sompek/sompek2 buildd servers? When creating the
> > packages locally with dpkg-buildpackage I have never encountered a
> > crash from gcc. I have even built the same failed packages multiple
> > times, but have not found any crashes.
> >
> > This is on a Sun Fire V210, 1.34GHz w/ 8GiB.

Hello,

You can look at the list on
http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/architecture.php?a=sparc64&suite=sid
under "Build-Attempted". You can choose the package by name, then it
should show build results in a table. On the row with sparc64 you
select "all logs", then the result would say "Maybe Failed". You can
select that, you are then shown the build log, which you can look at the
reason why it failed. There are no notifications that I know of (and if
there were, you would get spammed endlessly).

My Kernel: Linux sparc64-a 3.11.4 #1 SMP Thu Oct 10 11:07:55 EDT
2013 sparc64 GNU/Linux
My GCC: gcc (Debian 4.8.1-9) 4.8.1

Do not know the kernel that is on sompek (not my machine), however the
GCC it uses is 4.8.1-9, which is the same as mine (it downloads it
before every build). Quite possible the kernel might be a
Debian kernel.

You can choose a random package and search the log for "internal
compiler error" which would either be the result of a SIGSEGV or SIGBUS.