Re: [Pkg-systemd-maintainers] VIO on sparc / udev support

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 16:26:05 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On May 13, Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't think that would make much sense, and this belongs with the
> > related utils in udev IMO.
> Actually the root issue is that the helper is (was?) needed only because
> the kernel does not provide the data needed to allow autoloading these
> drivers.
> So if we are talking about correctness then the correct solution would
> be to fix the kernel.

So from a quick look at smetana (sparc), wheezy 3.2.x kernel:
sunvnet has
alias:          vio:Tvnet-portS*
and sunvdc has
alias:          vio:Tvdc-portS*

Seems like the device tables have been there since a week or so after
adding the drivers (in 2007), so not really new.  Does udev know to load
that nowadays?

On partch (powerpc), squeeze 2.6.32 kernel:
hvc_console is not built
hvcs has alias:          vio:Tserial-serverShvterm2*
ibmveth has alias:          vio:TnetworkSIBM,l-lan*
ibmvscsic has alias:          vio:TvscsiSIBM,v-scsi*
iseries_veth is not present

viodasd and viocd were removed in 2012
(ba7a4822b48fbc7afd6b567c18e316a03f46684d), and don't seem to be enabled
in the Debian kernels.

As to whether that's sufficient, your guess is as good as mine.

Cheers,
Julien