Re: X or gdm problem on Wheezy/testing

I could never get debian to run on my old sun blade 100 and had to go to sparc version of openbsd.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.debian-sparc@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
I wonder if somebody could give me some advice on how best to report this bug. I'm certain that fixing it is way beyond my ability, and at present I'm not even confident in my ability to describe it succinctly.

I've got a newly-built SPARC Wheezy/testing system replacing one of my low-priority development systems, it's actually an Ultra-2 which until recently was running Solaris. I've used the Wheezy+KDE CD, and have added GDM because of its reliable XDMCP handling. Let's call this system A.

I can log into A reliably from its own console, and I can log into it using Xnest running on itself with either the -query or -indirect option. I can also get a graphical session using VNC. In combination, I think these demonstrate that XDMCP is working and handing control to GDM, and that GDM is correctly handing control to KDE or XFCE.

Under any other conditions, attempting to establish a (graphical) login from another machine- let's call this B- crashes the X server running on B. I've tried this from a "Switch user" session on SPARC Etch KDE, from the initial login on an x86 Squeeze laptop, from Xnest running on the same system, and from XMing on Windows.

This is a hard fault, entirely reproducible. I think the next thing I need to try is reverting to kdm- presumably this is some variant of dpkg-reconfigure (i.e. what comes after that)?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk