Re: console on Niagara in 6.0.1

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:03:32PM -0700, David Miller wrote:

> I problem I've reported repeatedly in the past, is still present in
> 6.0.1
>
> Namely that the Niagara console does not get setup properly.
>
> So if you don't select SSHD to be installed or similar, the system
> cannot be logged into at the first boot since no login gettys get
> spawned on the correct device.
>
> Simply making sure the "T0" line in /etc/inittab gets uncommented
> seems to be enough.

I guess that this might be as simple as console having an unexpected
name. Here's the script which modifies inittab at the end of the
installation:

http://git.debian.org/?p=d-i/finish-install.git;a=blob_plain;f=finish-install.d/90console;hb=HEAD

It would be great if you could check what it does on your system using
the following steps:

1. Run through the installation until the final prompt, asking you to
remove the media before reboot.
2. Press Back repeatedly until you get to the main installer menu.
3. Start a shell from the menu.
4. Run '/bin/sh -x /usr/lib/finish-install.d/90console' and post the
output somewhere.

I guess this will be sufficient to understand what's going on.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC