Re: Manual Install of SILO/Debian

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM, brian m. carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.net> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 09:39:07PM -0500, A E [Gmail] wrote:
> an x86 machine with Solaris 8 preinstalled on it. It's an appliance from a

If you have an x86 machine, debian-sparc will not be able to help you.
Solaris comes in a version for sparc and a version for i386.  You'll
need the i386 port (or amd64, depending on the hardware).  SILO would
not install on such a machine, nor would it be in any way functional
even if you could.  Sorry debian-sparc couldn't be of more help.

Thanks Brian,

Yes, I did realise that after posting it that sparc and SILO have nothing to do with our situation. Guess it's sometimes difficult to separate Solaris from Sparc and also the fact that these two machines with Solaris on x86 are the only non-sparc machines we have in the network and mix that with 3 Vodkas on a friday evening doesn't lead to very intelligent questions. I apologise for the 'spam' :) Guess I need to go back to the debian-user list to see if anyone knows how to manually create a debian boot partition/sector or whatever the equivalent is on debian.

Cheers,
A E