Re: bus error in ps2pdf

On 17/02/11 18:20, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 18:12:25 +0000, cjl@spamcop.net wrote:
>

>> I now have access to a Debian Sparc box, and I can reproduce the
>> problem. The crash happens in the pthreads library, and I find it
>> confusing that this should happen on Linux/Sparc, but no other
>> platforms (that I'm aware of). Looking at the code, there's nothing
>> immediately obvious, unless there is a bug packing unions into
>> structs, causing a pointer alignment problem. Actually, that does
>> seem to be the problem: the second union does not sit on a 64 bit
>> aligned boundary.
>>
> Yes, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=613642#17

Ah, cool.

Very strange: that stuff doesn't seem to have changed since 8.71.

Anyway, if you want to raise a bug over at bugs.ghostscript.com with the
results of your investigation and assign it to me (chris.liddell (at)
artifex.com), I'll make sure it gets addressed in our repos.

As I said, in the immediate term, disabling the threading is a low risk,
(currently) low impact workaround for this.

Cheers,

Chris