Re: bus error in ps2pdf

Quoting Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:

Hi,

Stéphane Glondu wrote:

ocaml-melt currently FTBFS on sparc [1] because of a bus error
provoked by ps2pdf. The bus error is easily reproduced by running
ps2pdf on the file available at [2]. This bug is not present with the
previous version, 8.71~dfsg2-10.

Thanks for reporting it.  If anyone has time on a sparc, what might be
useful is

	apt-get build-dep ghostscript

	git clone git://git.ghostscript.com/ghostscript.git
	cd ghostscript/gs
	# configure to minimize features (hopefully speeding up build)
	./autogen.sh -C \
		--disable-fontconfig \
		--disable-freetype --disable-cups --disable-gtk \
		--enable-dynamic --with-system-libtiff \
		--without-ijs --without-jbig2dec --without-jasper

As of Ghostscript 9.00 --disable-freetype is essentially an unsupported configuration. We've switched to freetype as the default font scaler/renderer and whilst I doubt it will make a difference in this case, we're unlikely to investigate any bugs that show without freetype, but not with freetype.

I'd be happy to look into this, but I don't have access to a Debian/Sparc system (my Sparc box has some hardware in it that doesn't play nice with Linux).

Also, I'm not entirely sure what the status of the Ghostscript git mirror is currently - we currently use Subversion as the "canonical" source repository (not to be confused with the company behind Ubuntu!), and the person who used to look after the git mirror is no longer involved in GS development.

Chris

P.S. Oh yes, I'm a Ghostscript developer, by the way.....