Re: -lssl problem on debian sprac 64-bit

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 04:13:07PM -0400, A E [Gmail] wrote:
> #> dpkg --get-selections | egrep -i -e 'ssl|tls'
> libcurl3-gnutls                                 install
> libcurl4-gnutls-dev                             install
> libgnutls-dev                                   install
> libgnutls26                                     install
> libssl-dev                                      install
> libssl0.9.8                                     install
> openssl                                         install

These are all 32-bit libraries.

> but during 'make', I keep getting an error message that libssl can't be
> found. During the 'configure' script for this software, it was told to build
> for a 64-bit platform using the following:
>
> #> CFLAGS=-m64 CXXFLAGS=-m64 LDFLAGS=-m64
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib64 ./configure

This is for a 64-bit build.

> So it finds the SSL libs but thinks they're incompatible, I'm guessing
> because of them being 32-Bit libs? I tried creating symlinks in /lib64 and
> /usr/lib64 but it still rejects them

Yes.  You cannot mix 32-bit and 64-bit code.  All the code in a binary
and all of the shared libraries it uses must be one or the other.

> How do I fix this? Do I need to download the source for openssl and compile
> it for my platform?

If you insist on your program being 64-bit, yes, you'll have to do that;
only a very limited number of libraries in the archive on sparc have
64-bit versions.  Most programs do not benefit from using 64-bit code;
in fact, it can make them slower[0].  The easiest thing is to just
compile it as 32-bit.  The sparc32 program can help here if configure is
detecting the system as 64-bit.

[0] The only reason this isn't the case for amd64 is because 64-bit mode
doubles the number of registers.  It's true for 64-bit versions of
virtually every other architecture, though.