Re: Custom Kernel - 32-bit or 64-bit?

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 11:54:50AM -0400, A E [Gmail] wrote:
> Have ended up with a deb package called:
> linux-image-2.6.32-sun4u_2.6.32-Cust001_sparc.deb
>
> The question is, if I allowed it to slap on the arch in name automatically
> and it ended up calling it 'sparc', does that mean it's created a 32-bit
> kernel and not 64-bit as I'd have expected it to end with 'sparc64'.

The "sparc" in this case is the Debian architecture name.  Currently,
Debian machines running UltraSPARC processors (sparc64) use the sparc
Debian architecture.[0]  So basically, if you're sure you compiled the
kernel as 64-bit, you probably did, and it should work.  Such a kernel
will reply give the uname -m reply you expect.  Packages you download
using apt will have this part of the filename be "sparc" as well.

If you're not sure, just install the package and run file on one of the
modules (assuming you compiled it with such).  On my Ultra 5, it looks
like

  blackhole ok % file kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
  kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko: ELF 64-bit MSB relocatable, SPARC V9, relaxed memory ordering, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

This will tell you if the module is 64-bit or 32-bit, and therefore
whether it's been compiled correctly.

[0] There's movement towards creating a full 64-bit architecture called
"sparc64", but it is currently unofficial.