Re: [SOLVED] How to tell the compiler NOT to assume cpu provides atomic instructions

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:27 PM, RR <ranjtech@gmail.com> wrote:
HI Brian,

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:03 PM, brian m. carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.net> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 07:54:13PM -0500, RR wrote:
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -pthread -I../..//include
> -I/usr/include/libxml2 -pipe -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wmissing-declarations -g3 -mtune=ultrasparc -mcpu=v8 -fomit-frame-pointer
> -O6    ) works                 ... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -pthread -I../..//include
> -I/usr/include/libxml2 -pipe -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wmissing-declarations -g3 -mtune=ultrasparc -mcpu=v8 -fomit-frame-pointer
> -O6    ) is a                  cross-compiler... no

Okay.  I've pinpointed the problem.  If atomic intrinsics are used but
not supported on the target architecture (variant), GCC will emit a link
error for that function.

Your problem is -mcpu=v8.  v8 processors (AFAICT) do not support the
intrinsics necessary.  Remove that option (or whatever is causing that
option) and it should work.  It may be that for some reason configure
thinks that 32-bit code should use -mcpu=v8, but that isn't the case.
Debian's default configuration (without -mcpu and -mtune) should work
just fine for you.

Believe it or not, I had the same suspicion after I pasted that output for gcc for you. All I have found so far is that when the asterisk source package is untarred, the Makefile is already configured to see sparc64 and then add these lines re: -mcpu and -mtune to gcc. So I have manually removed these lines from the Makefile and making/linking it from scratch. Is that all that needed to be done or is there something else that needs to be done? The make is running right now...takes about 10 mins or so to run so will report back based on what happens. Hopefully this fixes it

You da Man! Make is complete without errors although I only removed the -mcpu line and left the -mtune line in there.

Thanks SO much
\R