Setting up an old Debian on an old Sun

For reasons that seemed good at the start of the weekend, I'm trying to get a copy of Sarge onto a SPARCstation IPC. Basically, I want something compact with a 2.4 kernel as a repository for some kernel hacking I did a few years ago.

The old IPC won't boot from CD, so I'm doing the installation on an SS20. That's fine, except that I don't think it's putting SILO's first-stage loader where the IPC's ROM can find it: if I do something like boot sd(0,3,2) it pauses and then sits there flickering the drive activity light without any indication that it's found SILO.

Can anybody remember the magic incantation needed to get this going?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk