Re: Unofficial Squeeze installer image available

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 08:04:31PM -0500, Howard Eisenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 09:43:21PM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
>
> > Over the last couple of days I've managed to build a functional
> > Squeeze installer mini iso image for sparc, which addresses all known
> > sparc-specific problems described in Squeeze errata. You can find the
> > image, patches used to build it and a README file describing the bugs
> > it's supposed to address (as well as rebuild instructions) at
> >
> > http://www.wooyd.org/debian/squeeze/
> >
> > If you have encountered problems during Squeeze installation, please
> > test this image and report the results, as a positive confirmation of
> > fixes on a variety of different systems is essential for getting all
> > these fixes into the first Squeeze point release.
>
> Perfecto! on this Ultra 5, IDE only. Expert install of base sytem
> and silo went without a hitch. The last time I installed Squeeze
> on this machine back in June, I had to use external SCSI CD-ROM,
> as I reported here.
>
> It was only in the last couple of days, that I learned that it
> was probably the CMD64x problem.

Thanks for testing.

One point: as mini iso installer downloads all udebs from the network,
it probably does not matter in this case whether the cmd64x driver is
available on the initrd or not, however it would be essential for
installation from proper CD-ROM media. Can you verify that it is
actually loaded on your system immediately after boot from mini iso?
Just go back to the main installer menu (even before configuring the
network) and check that it shows up in lsmod output or /proc/modules.
If there is a mount binary available, you can also try to mount the CD
at that point to positively confirm that everything is working as
expected.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org