Re: Disk Errors on 2nd Disk in Dual-Boot Debian/Solaris System

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your insights. Please see response below:

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM, brian m. carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.net> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 04:37:56PM -0500, RR wrote:
> During boot-up however, I see these errors:
>
> Checking file systems...fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
> fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb1
> /dev/sdb1:
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
>     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

You'll get this message in one of a few cases:

* the device in question (here /dev/sdb1) does not, in fact, contain an
 ext2 filesystem (this is most likely);
* the device is encrypted and it was not decrypted properly (bad
 password or such);
* something overwrote the beginning of the partition; or
* the system is in a really bad shape and the data is seriously
 corrupted.

Based on what you said in your earlier post (about /dev/sdb being your
Solaris disk), the first choice is likely correct.  You probably need to
figure out where your /boot partition is located and update /etc/fstab.

> This is obviously on the Disk with Solaris on it and that is NOT an ext3 FS.
> Should I just ignore these errors?

You need to fix /etc/fstab so that your /boot partition is properly
referenced.  Otherwise, when you upgrade your kernel, the data will be
written in the wrong place and you won't be able to use the new kernel.
If you can boot Debian, then your /etc/silo.conf probably contains the
correct location of your /boot partition, so you should use that.
Right, so that's what I figured as it's complaining about it not being an ext2 FS, which it obviously isn't, so we're ok there.

w.r.t to silo.conf, it's really bizarre. As per your instructions, once In debian, I went into /etc and found the following:

DebSparcx64:/etc# ls -l silo.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2010-12-26 05:49 silo.conf -> ../boot/silo.conf

But we already know that my /boot is empty. So where the hell is silo.conf?? and when I mount my Solaris Disk i.e. /dev/sdb1 on to /mnt within Debian, I still can't find either the bootloader for Debian OR silo.conf. I'm really confused!