Re: OpenVZ upgrade path?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:26:22PM +0100, Martin scribbled:
> > So, any advice on which way to go? What are other people using?
> > Should I be asking or CCing somewhere else?
>
> I have used vserver on SPARC in a production system.  It worked and the
> developers seemed keen on supporting x86 architecture.  Note that many
> vserver users use the project's packages for kernel and tools as they
> track vserver development in a more timely fashion.  Thus having vserver
> kernels included in the main Debian repositories is less of an issue
> than you'd imagine.
>
> Longer term, if you go with a technology that is in squeeze then you
> should have at least a handful of years before you are in a similar
> situation - even in the worst case.  When the future has been discussed
> on the vserver mailing list there was a suggestion that once cgroups
> were capable of everything required, vserver would slowly become a set
> of userspace tools.  There is no definate timeline for this but the
> amount of code required in the kernel patches does seem to be
> decreasing.
>
> I would have thought vserver or lxc would have be the best effort vs
> future security trade off.
>
> Good luck and let us know what you pick.

Ok, so I decided to give vserver a try. So far, I get the feeling
that nobody using vserver on sparc has upgraded to squeeze yet.
I didn't even get to set up any guests before breaking stuff. :P

I would appreciate if someone else could reproduce this bug. You
don't actually need a vserver kernel unless you want to reproduce
it during boot.

Thanks,
Ivan