Re: Re: Best contribution for Ultra 10?

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Dave Barnett <barnetda@blueriver.net> wrote:
Joe:

Here is my xorg.conf used on a Sun Ultra 10 with Creator 3D card.  Hope it helps....

Cheers,
Dave

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Best contribution for Ultra 10?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 20:37:11 -0500
From: Dave Barnett <barnetda@blueriver.net>
To: philo N <research.philo@orange.fr>

Philo:

As I have not used X on this machine, I simply did:
1.  apt-get install kde
      [all as root, naturally]
2.  wait....
3.  X -configure
4.  X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
5.  cd /etc/X11
6.  mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.orig
7.  cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
8.  useradd barnett
9.  passwd barnett
10.  invoke-rc.d kdm start
11.  go to console
12.  login as "barnett"

Worked fine for me.  Only ran it for 5-10 minutes-ish without issue, but
KDE version 3.5 came up and was functioning fine as far as I can see.

Please find attached xorg_config_files_sparc.tbz2, which is a tar, bzip2
file containing xorg.conf.orig and xorg.conf [i.e. the one generated in
step 3 and copied into place at step 7.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Dave

On 12/28/2009 11:33 AM, philo N wrote:
> hi,
> i have difficulty for configure X on sparc64 debian...
> can you tell me more about lenny??
>

> regards
> philo
>

> Dave Barnett a écrit :
>> All:
>>
>> I have finally retired my Sun Ultra 10 from active use as my
>> firewall.  It is running Lenny, and is up-to-date.
>>
>> I've used Debian for some time to my benefit, and now that I am in
>> the position to do so, I'd like to give back to the Sparc port.
>>
>> There is nothing on the machine that is irreplaceable, so test
>> installations or other "destructive" events are fine by me.
>>
>> What area(s) of the Sparc port would benefit from the machine's, and
>> my, time?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave

Dave,

The problem is Xorg even crashes running X -configure on stable.  On unstable/testing, the problem is the lines all over the screen.  Maybe I will have to pick up an Ultra 10.