Re: Debian-Sparc on a Sun Ultra10

On 2010-03-31, Chris Liddell wrote:

> I had the same problem on my Blade 1000, and Jurij kindly pointed my at
> the solution, so I'll quote:
>
> "This is a known problem. Kernel 2.6.30 incorrectly reported machine
> type to the installer, so SILO was installing incorrect bootloader
> (intended for 32-bit machines) during the installation, causing this
> boot failure. See the following message:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=570264#10
>
> which includes a workaround for it. It will get fixed automatically
> once we get newer kernel for the installer images, daily images might
> already have 2.6.32, which should work out of the box."

I just installed using this (March 22) netinst iso on my Ultra 5
and SILO booted successfully.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/sparc/iso-cd/

It uses kernel 2.6.32-3-sparc64.

I guess my previous response about warm booting after Solaris 10
was a red herring.

Regards,

Howard E.