Re: sungem NIC stops working

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 18:02 +0100, Bruce Cran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have several Netra T1's running debian stable, one of which is
> a gateway for the network. We've been finding that about once a
> week or more it stops responding to network traffic - we've been
> rebooting it, but I'd like to work out why it's happening. The only
> error that gets logged is:
>
> [409455.008758] eth0: RX MAC fifo overflow smac[00010400]
>
> That message gets logged during normal operation too, but it's the last
> message in the buffer when the NIC stops working.  Is this a known
> problem, or how could we go about finding out what's going wrong?

The first thing to do would be submit a bug report, giving as many
details about the kernel, hardware and operational environment
(particularly network throughput) as possible.  Then it might be worth
feeding the error message into google 'RX MAC fifo overflow' seems to
find quite a few things.  Beyond that, the code that seems to be causing
the warning is:

http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.36/drivers/net/sungem.c#L482

So it might be worth diff-ing the kernel source you are running against
the latest and an older kernel to see what (if anything) has changed.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin