RE: Ultra 10 assistance

Stop n rulessss

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Barnett <barnetda@blueriver.net>
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:31 PM
To: Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.debian-sparc@telemetry.co.uk>
Cc: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Ultra 10 assistance

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Dave Barnett wrote:
>
>> I believed the issue to be the NVRAM/TOD chip, but replacing it has
>> not changed anything.  I have swapped the power supply, removed all
>> PCI cards, and the machine continues to have some limited activity as
>> above, but without the power light illuminated, it will not do
>> anything visible -- i.e. nothing on the attached monitor.
>
> Is the keyboard properly plugged in? Will it run if started with
> something attached to serial port A?

As far as I can tell, yes.  When I power it up the lights across the top
(Type 6 keyboard - num Loc, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, Compose) flash on
briefly.

It used to only work via a serial connection to [I believe] port A.
Once it stopped working, I've gone back to trying to use a connected Sun
keyboard and PC monitor via adapter.

This morning, I have the cover off.  When I power up the machine while
holding Stop-N, I get a beep, the 4 lights flash on briefly and then
off, I then hear the [CPU?] fan come up and then shut down.  The power
light on the front of the machine never comes on.  This is the typical
behavior.

If I leave it plugged in [or is it plugged in and turned on?] for a
while, eventually, the front power LED will light -- takes a few days,
though.

Cheers,
Dave