Re: UltraSparc IIIi kernel and virtualisation

Josip Rodin wrote:
> Well, that cpuinfo up there lists four processors 1.6GHz each (convert
> the clock tick number from hexadecimal :) so you want SMP, and you actually
> already have it in that kernel, otherwise it wouldn't have printed the
> above information.

Thanks. I am indeed using the sparc64-smp kernel at the moment.

> As for virtualization, you could probably use OpenVZ, though I haven't
> personally tried it on sparc, googling says people have used it.

Thanks. I have been able to find some Etch kernels compiled with openvz
and smp support. No idea if those will work under Lenny though.

Question: If openvz is possible under sparc64, why doesn't Debian
support this? It's supported on other archs.

Even odder, why does Debian supply SMP and non-SMP kernels for sparc64
but only a non-SMP kernel for sparc64-vserver and no
vserver-sparc64-smp? As I understand it now, using the vserver kernel
supplied for sparc64 would mean that 3 of my 4 CPUs would do nothing
since it's not an SMP kernel.

--
Sander Marechal