Re: network install problem - UltraSparc 60

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:40 +0100, "BERTRAND Joel"
<joel.bertrand@systella.fr> wrote:
> Willie a écrit :
> >

> > On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:44 +0100, "BERTRAND Joel"
> > <joel.bertrand@systella.fr>  wrote:

> >> 	Hello,
> >>
> >> 	It's not a tftp trouble. Your U60 is able to find your boot image. You
> >> say that you don't have any framebuffer and output you have posted shows
> >> that kernel tries to switch to a framebuffer to attach tty0. Can you try
> >> with a frambuffer ? If not, you have to be sure that your boot image
> >> contains all modules required to support console on serial line. If I
> >> have more time this afternoon, I shall check on my U60.
> >>
> >> 	Regards,
> >>
> >> 	JKB
> >>

> > Thank you Joel,
> >
> > In fact there is an Expert 3D graphics card in the machine, but I don't
> > have either a monitor or keyboard attached. I understand that in the
> > absence of a real console a Sparc will drop back to ttyA for
> > input/output?
>
> 	Of course, if you don't have any keyboard, openprom switch to ttya by
> default, but you can configure this line. And in your case, openprom
> switch to serial line. But if you want to access to your OS, it has to
> support this serial line. Solaris support it by default, but I'm not
> sure that debian does. Thus, you can see all messages sent by kernel to
> openprom until kernel switches to framebuffer. I have installed some
> T1000 without any trouble, but hardware support differs. Maybe there is
> an kernel option for your case.
>
> 	If I remember, you should have a SunSU serial and builtin support in
> boot kernel. If boot image does not contains support for console on
> serial line, you have to write a bug report ;-)
>
> 	Regards,
>
> 	JKB

Thanks again for your time.

I'm not really interested in serial port access other tha using it to
drive the installation process, after that I'll be able to get to the
machine over the network.

I've tried 'boot net console=ttya' and I've tried setting the bootprom
to input-device=ttya, output-device=ttya, but neither of these made any
difference to the OS trying to switch to the frame buffer and
non-existent monitor.

I can't think of anything else to try unless someone can prod me in the
right direction.