Re: Sparc release requalification

From: Hermann Lauer <Hermann.Lauer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:36:33 +0100

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:40:47PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
>> > OK. Yours has gcc 4.2.4, and our ones have gcc 4.3.2 (that we shipped
>> > as "stable" :)
>> >
>> > I also just tried a newer packaged image, and it has the same issue.
>>
>> I just tossed lenny onto my main build system and I will try to
>> reproduce this and track it down.
>
> FYI:
> lenny uses gcc 4.1.3 for their normal build at least on amd64 and sparc
> systems:
>
>  Linux version 2.6.26-2-sparc64-smp (Debian 2.6.26-19lenny2) (dannf@debian.org) (gcc version 4.1.3 20080704 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-25)) #1 SMP Thu Nov 5 03:34:29 UTC 2009

I'm confused now :-)  So does gcc-4.1.3 produce the bad kernels or does
gcc-4.3.2?

I built Linus's current tree under Lenny and that booted up perfectly
on my Niagara2 box.

Also, please increase CONFIG_NR_CPUS to 256 in your SMP builds on sparc64
in Debian.  I'm missing most of my cpus with the Debian built kernels :-)

Probably I've mentioned this before :-)