Re: Sparc release requalification

On 19.08.2009 16:33, Bastian Blank wrote:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 01:55:24PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
On 19.08.2009 13:42, Bastian Blank wrote:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 01:16:36PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
I did speak with Martin Zobel at Debconf on how to get there, having two proposals:
   - have an inplace-transition building required library packages for an
     upgrade as biarch packages and continue to use the current sparc name.
This would mean that many packages needs to be modified. Is it really
worth the work needed if we consider the availability of multiarch in
the next time?
you'll end up modifying a different set of packages for the new
architecture name in control and rules files. I don't know if this is
less or more work.

If I understand this correctly, this would need the modification off all
library packages to implement biarch semantic.

No, "just" a subset that an update from 32->64bit userland does work. Again, I don't know how big this subset will be.

  Matthias