Re: Debian First Boot Problem on Ultra5

Howard Eisenberger wrote:
On 2009-05-03, Jon Pruente wrote:

Is the monitor connected to the VGA port built into the motherboard?  I've
been having problems with X & GDM on an Ultra 10, which uses the same mobo,
IIRC.  I was planning on trying it with the on board video, but you may be
beating me to it.

On my Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 using the onboard ATI video, X works for
me with kernel <= 2.6.22, but not above. On my Ultra 60 with Creator
UPA graphics card, X works with kernels up to 2.6.26.

I'm not sure what version of xorg is running on these.

kernel 2.6.29 does not boot at all on these. At first glance, this
kernel appears to be twice the size of 2.6.26.

In my case the U1 I use for penetration testing etc. lost X at about the point that 2.6.26-1-sparc64 was upgraded to 2.6.26-2-sparc64, neither local nor remote X nor VNC works. This one uses cgsix.

There is no obvious difference in kernel size etc. and reverting to the older kernel doesn't help. I suspect the problem happened at the upgrade from 5.0.1 to 5.0.0, but I don't know how to revert or peg the version.

Unfortunately this has happened at just the time that I was being asked to demonstrate Lenny on SPARC. I suppose I should be thankful that it didn't happen after I'd rolled it out to peoples desks.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk