Re: x-www-browser for ultra5 ultra60

Howard Eisenberger wrote:
This is a general question. I have been unable to run iceweasel
on my ultra5 or ultra60 since it went from 2.0 to 3.0. It crashes
constantly with "Bus error".

I've had a similar problem with iceweasel on my Ultra 5, apparently due to a futex bug:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2007/07/msg00130.html

I have been using iceape (currently version 1.1.14). Now I see that iceape has been dropped from Lenny.
I tried midori briefly on unstable, but it also crashed.

Is anyone having more success in this regard on similar hardware?

At the moment, I am using Epiphany. This is part of the GNOME project. It's not as sophisticated as iceweasel, but it does pretty much everything I need from a browser and works well.

http://projects.gnome.org/epiphany/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_(browser)

Out of interest, have you had any problems with X11 on your Ultra 5? I find that unless I use the 2.6.22 kernel, X11 simply doesn't work. I'm running testing (which is probably almost identical to stable about now...) and have had no luck with the 2.6.24 or 2.6.26 kernels.

http://lists.humbug.org.au/archives/general/2008-August/027088.html

gavin,

--
Gavin Duley