Re: XVR-500 support in Lenny

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:46:16AM +0200, Petr Vyslouzil wrote:
> Dave, Julien, thanks for your replies.
>
> I asked just to make sure I did not miss something obvious (like the
> .config file in /boot dir :)). I've been wondering why Debian on Sparc
> doesn't have compiled-in drivers for SUN's graphics cards. I can confirm
> that sunxvr500 driver works flawlessly even with XVR-600 card (although
> lspci shows wrong description), so at least all Sun Blade [12]500 users
> would benefit. And I suppose that sunxvr2500 is not any worse.
> So, please, could you consider to compile them in? The difference between
> OpenBoot ansi terminal and XVR-600 framebuffer is abysmal.

[adding debian-boot since it relates to the problems with installer on
Sunblade 1000 which I recently reported]

Petr, can you please try the images I've built from

http://www.wooyd.org/debian/kernel/

They are the same as Debian's stock kernels, except that the
CONFIG_FB_XVR500 and CONFIG_FB_XVR2500 are enabled (note that it does
not make sense to build framebuffer drivers as modules, because they
are used early during boot). I was hoping that enabling them will fix
problems with the installer (black-and-white terminal, with invisible
menu highlight) on my SunBlade 1000, however there is a PCI id
mismatch which makes it not work for me. The XVR-500 framebuffer
driver supports PCI ID 3d3d:07a0 (vendor is 3D Labs) while my card is
reported as 1901:07a0 (vendor is Intergraph). Since 3D Labs bought
Intergraph at some point, there is a chance that this is the same
chip, but I will have to rebuild the kernel again to test it.

Cheers.